Friday, September 13, 2013

Dereifying - Robert Campbell

Listening to both Rob Rhee and Robert Campbell was an inspiring and compelling experience. Both artists work are so different from each other, but it was fascinating to listen to both of them regarding their inspirations and artistic journeys thus far.

Particularly compelling for me was Robert Campbell's work - particularly his inspiration. At the root of it all, and sort of "in the beginning", there seemed to be a deep desire for connection with the world, and a need to understand the relationship between the Earth and humans. It seems to me that through his work, and through a very conscious effort to connect with the Earth, that he has indeed connected: with the Earth, and with his audience.

His first slide said "Inspiration: a matter of taking it all in.  - A set of dereifying conspiracies". Which is intriguing in itself because I have never heard the word "reifying". It was fascinating how that concept ended up unfolding throughout his work.

I saw a lot of cause and effect:

Environmental tragedies --> sadness and anger
Sadness and Anger --> relocation (Vashon)
Relocation --> reconnection with the Earth
Reconnection with the Earth --> creation
Creation --> Transcendence

What I mean by transcendence in this context is that Roberts work seems to transcend the experience that most of us have with the Earth, to the way he experiences the Earth. By transcending that, he captures it in his work, allowing us all, even if for a moment, to experience the Earth as he does. In a way, he is giving the Earth back to us and back to itself.

I was incredibly moved by his work because one of my most powerful influences is the history, treatment, empowerment and continuous oppression and objectification of women. One of my greatest fears is that my anger on this issue will not find a productive way to exist in my work. After seeing Roberts work, I've been inspired to think about focusing on giving women back to themselves, while consequently giving myself back to me (dereifying).

No comments:

Post a Comment