Monday, September 16, 2013

Solnit and Wenders Reading Response

Rebecca Solnit's "A Field Guide to Getting Lost" resonated with me deeply, since one of my favorite things to do is get lost. As I read along, it seemed as if she was describing my own motives for travel in the form of aimless drives, new cities and various forms of transportation. She describes getting lost as a choice to lose yourself. To surrender to the possibilities of change and growth that can occur when you introduce yourself to places foreign to you: a sort of chosen discomfort.  I find great comfort in not knowing where I am headed. It is the ultimate liberation from boredom and artistic blocks. Some of my best ideas have come to me while venturing out into the world alone. It's a deep desire to experience as much as possible, and to surrender to the unpredictability of when each experience may come. While setting out to find my RE: object and location, I thought it might be difficult to get lost considering I am quite familiar with the surrounding areas of Cornish, so instead of getting lost, I decided to follow the shade in order to guide me to unplanned locations. I wandered and avoided the sun while ignoring the street names and pushed away any subconscious feeling that I was in a familiar area. I focused on the unfamiliar details of areas, hoping to notice things I wouldn't ordinarily pay attention to.

No comments:

Post a Comment